The Committee for the Ray Ekpu Award for Investigative Journalism has called for entries for the second edition of the competition. Deadline for submission of the entries is Tuesday, November 15, 2022. The award attracts a prize money of N500,000.
Unlike the maiden edition which was restricted to journalists in the conventional media houses – print and electronic, this year’s edition has been expanded to include entries from journalists serving in online publications who must be registered members of the Akwa Ibom State Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists.
According to a statement jointly signed by the chairman and secretary of the Committee, Mr Nsikak Essien and Mrs Emem Nkereuwem respectively, that this year’s entries are limited to publications made between October 31, 2021 and September 30, 2022.
Requirements for the entry include a copy of the original publication in hard copy for print; audio recording for radio with complete identity of the media organisation; video recording for television, with verifiable publication date, time and media organisation; and web link for online publications. All entries must be made through the Akwa Ibom State Council of NUJ for onward delivery to the Secretariat of the Committee, it added.
Entries will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Depth of investigation.
- Conformity with the ideals of journalistic excellence.
- Style and language of presentation.
- Contribution to Good Governance in public office.
- Impact on the fight against corruption and impunity.
- Contribution to national unity and ethnic cohesion in Akwa Ibom state.
- Promotion of human and individual rights.
- Relevance to the fight against societal ills like rape and girl child abuse.
- Efforts to check poverty and abuse of environment.
- Attempts to check drug abuse, cultism and general insecurity.
The essence of the award as espoused by the sponsors, Inoyo Toro Foundation is that:
- Truth matters, and journalists are responsible for factual reporting.
- Journalists must be encouraged and supported to discharge their duties responsibly
- There is a need to collaborate with the Nigerian Union of Journalists to deepen professionalism and encourage quality reporting among journalists.
The winner of the award will be unveiled during the NUJ Award Night slated for the Emerald Event Centre, Uyo, on Friday, December 9, 2022.